Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Sugar Sugar it's a booger!!!! At least to a diabetic...

So, I have diabetes, at least that is what my doctor told me.

Kind of scared me... Really scared me. Since I found out (the beginning of July) I have been working out, bowing out (desserts and soda and bread) and testing out... I have to test my blood level three times a day...











I do the test with a little machine that pricks my finger and then there's ya know... Blood... Gross.... Then I use this machine to test the level...




Normal levels are 95 - 120... When I started out I was oh about 219..... Not good... My average now is about 130... Yesterday I tested 124 (Morning) 150 (Lunch) 128 (Dinner)... I think I used to much mayo at lunch...

I have brought the levels down by exercise and eating meats, vegetables and small amounts of potatoes, and occasional slices of bread. Whole wheat, etc... No pie, no Carl's $6 dollar burgers  with fries, Large Coke or Route 44 Iced tea with 2 bags of Sweet and low three times a day...








Now I drink abut 3 liters or more of water a day. I prepare all my food. And I write  down what I eat..

Instead of making me crazy, finding out I have diabetes has actually helped me. I know where I am at with my body all day. I don't crave or go from full and tired and cranky to starving. Now I have to listen to my body to tell me it is hungry and it is soooooo strange!

Now my body just feels a little different and I am beginning to  recognize it is hungry. I mean before I am very hungry now my body tells me but it is a different sensation.

At first, I thought I was not feeling well. Then I ate and felt better... (Snack). I was like "Oh wow! So that is what hunger is like! Then I started to understand the feeling...

If it is meal time instead of snack, I do get hungry but not the same STARVING feeling I used to have.. It feels like hunger just much milder than the sugar beast hunger...

I hit the gym almost every day now and I have replaced sugar with spin classes!!! (these are some of my instructors...)

Funny how life changes with some news......

No pills yet... I see the doctor on the 11th of August.. My goal, to be very close or within the 95-120 range by then... So far.. Everything I am doing IS working...

I guess I am pretty lucky. Sometimes bad news can be a good thing......

2 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing Jay.. glad to hear you're doing better!!! what made you feel like you needed to get tested for diabetes?

    ReplyDelete